Rug pad is a very important part of the placement of area rugs for the following reasons:
- Rug pad keeps the rugs from slipping on hard surface floors
- It protects the finish of hardwood floors from the friction of the backing of some rugs as well as color transfer and staining
- Rug pad also reduces wrinkling of the area rugs
- Rug pad provides a cushioned feeling when walking on the rugs
- It can extend the life of your area rugs by preventing wear
- It allows you to vacuum your rug more easily
There are different types of rug pads for hard surfaces such as ceramic or hardwood and different types for carpet. There are premium pads for more cushion and there is a separate type of cushion for outdoor rugs. Some companies offer different rug pad for oriental carpets. There are also some types of tape that are designed to hold area rugs in place. A full padding works best as provides more of the assets listed above.
When purchasing area rug pad, you don’t want to buy or order the rug pad in the exact same size as your rug. You want at least a 1/2″ on all sides less than the size of the area rug. Pre-packaged rug pads already take this into account so you don’t have to do any trimming.
Another tip: Be sure and read the instructions to make sure you are putting the rug pad down in the correct fashion. Some rug pads have different textures on each side in order to either grip to the rug or provide slip resistance to the floor.The following article was taken directly from the World Floor Covering Association (www.wfca.org). Also, please visit my websites at www.americarpetfloors.com and www.stylishrugs.com for all your flooring needs.